Multicultural Work K701SL22OJ-19015 10.01.2022-30.04.2022 5 cr+-
- can separate preconceptions, values and attitudes towards their own and a different culture
- can identify dimensions that explain key similarities and differences between cultures
- can describe Finland’s immigration policy and its connections to international politics
- can describe the service system supporting integration and analyse factors that support and hinder the integration process
- can find solutions to support the integration and occupational capacity of immigrants and promote tolerance
- Intercultural communication
- Immigration policy
- Asylum process
- Acculturation process
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Social work in multicultural environments.
- intercultural communication and interaction
- key cultural similarities and differences
- refugees, migrants, immigrants, returnees, etc.
- the basics of intercultural guidance and counseling
- religions and worldviews
- immigrants' life situation: processes of change, crises
- refugee and immigration legislation and alien policy
- acculturation process and integration
- immigrants as part of Finnish society; as a customer in various services, social security
Main topics covered in contact teaching
1. Intercultural communication and interaction
2. Basic concepts, background to immigration.
3. Integration and support of immigrants; especially nature-based methods.
4. Living conditions of immigrants in Finland.
Assessment criteria - grade 1
Learning assignments; active project and/or assignment (peer commenting and oral feedback) and an examination (graded)
Examination assessment criteria:
The student can describe key dimensions that explain similarities and differences between cultures, but their utilisation of these in intercultural communication is lacking. The student can identify basic principles connected to migration and how it is controlled in Finland. They can name factors connected to the integration process and are familiar with immigrant services. They can support immigrants’ occupational capacity and integration.
Assessment criteria - grade 3
The student can identify some key similarities and differences between cultures and can itemise them in intercultural communication. The student has a good grasp of migration and how it is controlled in Finland. They can explain factors connected to the integration process and are familiar with immigrant services. They can support immigrants’ occupational capacity and integration.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
The student understands the key dimensions that explain similarities and differences between cultures and can apply them creatively in their intercultural communication on individual and group level. The student has an excellent grasp of migration and how it is controlled in Finland. They can discuss integration processes in a profound and multi-faceted way and are familiar with immigrant services. They can find solutions for supporting immigrants’ occupational capacity and integration in difficult situations.